20100408

Five loaves and two fish (23)

Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to set before the people. He also divided the two fish among them all.(Mark 6:41)

If Jesus’ resurrection is our real meal as mentioned in the foregoing meditation, then some would say that our daily meal does not have any spiritual connection? No. It is not. The meal we take every day is also an integral part of God’s grace and the meal of life has the same meaning. The only difficulty is that we do not know how to merge the relationship between a real meal and resurrection more precisely. It is our cognitive limitation that we have to bear and also our religious homework to solve.

The best alternative way we can chose now is to accept a meal as a reality of resurrection life. It can be a practice to eat a meal in holiness. We might experience mystery and holiness of life from a bowl of meal. It is, that is to say, identification itself with a meal. We experience a mystery that a meal becomes me and I become a meal. Is it really possible? Generally we think a meal as an instrument to maintain life and so it is not easy to experience such personal identification with it. However, if we open our mind, it can be possible.

A few days ago I had a chance to eat a lunch at my office. When I opened my lunch box there were four side dishes, fried anchovy, cubed radish kimchi, scrambled eggs and boiled vegetable. First I took rice and chewed then it soon taste sweet. I again took a fried anchovy and chewed it well. At that moment, I felt rice and anchovy and I became one. It was a ruptured experience. Is not it an experience to eat a holy meal?

No comments: